I want to start hacking!
You want to contribute to Gajim and help in development? Here's a list of things you should do:
Get in touch
- Join email@example.com, that is our group chat. You can always ask for help and talk about Gajim there.
- Report bugs and share your ideas about Gajim
- Get the development version of Gajim. Install
git(either a console tool or one of the gui wrappers, like Git for Windows) and checkout Gajim sources . Read more about how to use git with Gajim.
- Gajim master depends on
python-nbxmppmaster. Read more about running Gajim master with python-nbxmpp master.
- Create an XMPP account specifically for testing. It will be easier to test things if you will use a small XMPP account without all your friends. Also, you won't annoy them ;-)
- Create a different profile with that account. Use
gajim -p testor
./launch -p testand set up all things.
- Start Gajim with debug logging
python3 -W default ./launch.py -p test -l gajim=DEBUG
- If you want to contribute code (fix a bug, add a feature, ...) you have to create a Fork first (see fork and merge workflow). After adding your changes to your fork, you can create a Merge Request to the upstream repository.
Setting up a Virtualenv
- virtualenv -p python3 --system-site-packages civenv
- . ./civenv/bin/activate
- pip3 install -I git+https://dev.gajim.org/gajim/python-nbxmpp.git@master