[syntax_highlight] Code highlighting in message textview (sender's side)
- Gajim Version: 1.1.2 / master
- Plugin Version: >= 1.0.0
- Operating System: all
So far, code (blocks and spans) is highlighted in the view for received messages only. Sending still requires manually typing the back-ticks markup directives, which is not very comfortable. Plus, syntax highlighting is not applied to the text input at all.
The plugin should highlight code during input, too. Highlighting should start as soon as an opening code element is found in the input field until the element is closed or aborted (e.g. by another block or an invalid character, such as a newline).
- Implement highlighting "on-demand"
- Add buttons for inserting inline code spans or blocks
- If XEP-0071 (XHTML-IM) is used, add both XHTML and XEP-0303 (Message Styling)-style markup
Extension/Nice to have: Reuse the code widget (see #408)
- TBD: how/when to replace plain text input without disturbing or surprising the user?
- When appropriate: respect config options defined in #408
- TBD: how/when should we serialize back to "normal" markup