Online contacts should be visible regardless of their groups
People that want seeing offline contacts in roster end up with not seeing online ones if they are not in the first (alphabetically) group.
Displaying offline contacts has sense for:
- conveniently seeing archives of conversations with them
- talking to people that tend to be in invisible mode Groups can be used for:
- sorting contacts by their "origin" (school, work, friends etc.)
- setting different privacy options for them (like being invisible sometimes for only some groups, also: Facebook privacy settings are easier to achieve using groups which are then reflected in Jabber groups) However, online contacts are usual not visible then as they're below lots of offline contacts from earlier (alphabetically) groups.
- Show online contacts above offline ones regardless of their groups.
- Allow to set group priorities, e.g. friends above work etc.