Using Gajim in Whonix; Needs; Questions; Configuration
Hi. I'm on the Whonix core team, and I'm trying to figure how to setup Gajim for our users (either manual instructions or installed+configured by default).
(1) As it stands, users have to make a number of configuration changes:
Edit -> Accounts -> uncheck Save conversation logs for all contacts
Preferences -> Status -> uncheck Away after Preferences -> Status -> uncheck Not available after
Preferences -> Advanced-> Privacy -> uncheck Allow client / OS information to be sent Allow local system time information to be sent Log encrypted chat session Allow my idle time to be sent
Preferences -> Advanced-> applications -> Custom -> clear fields for Browser, Mail Client and File Browser 
Preferences -> Advanced -> global proxy -> Tor Preferences -> Advanced -> global proxy -> mange -> Tor -> check Use proxy authentication -> set username to gajim -> set password to gajim
(1) If we were to include gajim by default, we'd need a way to make these configuring changes. For example, a command line tool or a gajim/config.d folder where we can place snippets
(2) Gajim leaks DNS depiste Tor proxy configuration, as per #8538. In whonix, tor proxy will route the application over its own tor circuit. A DNS leak will go around that and use the "common" circuit. This isn't a huge issue for us since the leaks will still go over Tor, but it's not as nice.
(3) According to tails (who is considering replacing pidgin with Gajim), the plugin installer runs the plugins at full privilege without sudo. Is this accurate? https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/replace_Pidgin/
(4) Is there any will or resources to audit the data gajin sends over the internet? Things like sending the computers time zone, hostname, computer specs, etc. https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO#Protocolleaks