Package gst-plugin-gtk is missing in required dependencies
- OS: Gentoo
- Gajim version: 1.3.1_p2 & 1.3.2
- GTK version: 4.2.1
- Python-nbxmpp version: 2.0.2-r1
Steps to reproduce the problem
- Click on the Gajim menu button on the top left and select Preferences
- Click on Audio/Video
- Activate Live Preview
See a live preview of whatever my webcam sees.
Getting the error message "Something went wrong. Video feature disabled"
My webcam is detected and works with V4L2 on a variety of software, including Zoom, Google Meet, and the following command:
mpv --no-cache --no-osc --no-input-default-bindings --profile-low-latency --input-conf=/dev/null --title=webcam $(ls /dev/video[0,2,4,6,8] | tail -n 1)
which makes me think the issue has to be Gajim specific or located somewhere in the chain from Gajim to getting webcam footage.
Clicking on Help -> Features shows that every feature has a checkmark.
Gajim has the following USE flags on my system (+ = enabled, - = disabled):
- +crypt : End to end encryption and GPG encryption
- -geolocation : Sharing your location
- +jingle : Audio and video calls
- -python_single_target_python3_7 : Build for Python 3.7 only
- +python_single_target_python3_8 : Build for Python 3.8 only
- -python_single_target_python3_9 : Build for Python 3.9 only
- -remote : Controlling Gajim instance from command line with gajim-remote
- +rst : Generating XHTML output from RST code
- +spell : Spellchecking of composed messages
- +upnp : Ability to request your router to forward port for file transfer
- +webp : Support WebP avatars
On the Audio/Video tab, I have the following settings set:
- Use STUN server: On
- Audio Input Device: Pulse: Default device
- Audio Output Device: Pulse: Default device
- Video Input Device: V4L2: Default device (I also tried specifying the webcam exactly with this option, and still doesn't work any better)
- Video Framerate: Default
- Video Resolution: Default
- Show My Video Stream: On
- Live Preview: On/Off (This is the problem option, turning it on gives the error, if I leave the preferences window and come back, it's turned Off again.)
Errors logged on stdout when started from terminal
05/10/2021 22:53:28 (E) gajim.gui.preview Failed to obtain a working Gstreamer GTK+ sink, video support will be disabled
This error makes me believe the error is somewhere between Gajim and Gstreamer.
I do not know if voice calls or video calls actually work at all as I have no friends with whom to test it.
I have raised a bug request on the Gentoo package repository to have the version bumped up to 1.3.2, but I doubt a simple version bump will fix this issue entirely.
Thanks for any help, Kusoneko.